What does Hospitation mean? Benefits & My personal experience. #ForeignDoctors #Germany

Hii friends,

If you are here, then you are a Medical Doctor and looking for further studies in Germany. And you definitely have came across this term called "Hospitation" while reading the blogs related to "Foreign Doctors in Germany" and wondering what does it actually mean, what are its benefits, right time to apply for it and its application process. Here you can read straight-to-the-point info about the same:





  • Hospitation: It can be literally translated into "Sitting in on lectures". But as for you and me, it has a completely different meaning. It is basically a short term internship as a Medical Doctor in any Hospital and field of your choice, which can be meant to gain a further instinct and idea about the tasks, working environment, etc., in the specific Hospital or in Germany in general.Or it can be simply meant to experience the German Medical System. There is no need of having any concrete reason behind doing the Hospitation, as you don't really need to specify anywhere, why do you want to do it. There are indeed a lot of other benefits of doing it, which will really convince you of doing it.




  • How does it differ from the routine internships/practical year? Is it same as an Internship? 
      Ans: 1. In a given Hospital, Hospitation can be done for only a maximum duration of 3 months.
              2. You normally don't get any stipend during the Hospitation in Germany. But some hospitals do offer you a stipend of about 300 Euros a month and/or may bear your travelling costs from your home to the hospital and/or provide free of charge breakfast and lunch in the hospital canteen.
              3. You can talk to patients, Doctors, other colleagues, ask all the queries you have, participate in the hospital conferences, etc,. But, you are legally not permitted to participate in any caregivings to the patients as you still don't possess a license to work as a doc in Germany. Yet, you may be allowed to do it in case if you win the trust of the Doctors in your department.
              4. Whereas an Internship is mandatory, a Hospitation on the other end is voluntary.



  • What is required and when and how can I apply for the Hospitation?
      Ans: You can apply anytime when you have the required German proficiency. Further info on this can be read here




Now lets take a look at the Benefits of doing a Hospitation:

  1. It is a best way of experiencing the German Medical System. You can have a deep insight in the Trauma center, General ward and the tasks of the Junior Doctors at these stations, Medical Insurance and Rehabilitation formalities in Germany Hospitals, etc,.
  2. You will learn a lot of Medical German Language when you go everyday to the Hospital and see what and how the Junior Doctors and the rest of the staff interact with patients and with each-other.
  3. You may already get a job offer as a resident in the Hospital. Yes, you will interact daily with a lot of Consultants in your Department and will make a lot of good contacts with them. If they find you proper enough, they may even see you as a next resident doctor for there hospital.
  4. You can even get a visa for a Hospitation. Hospital will send you a contract and an invitation letter, on which basis, you can apply for a schengen visa and visit Germany and German Hospital.
  5. Above all, you will gain a lot of confidence for your residency job interview, once you have already done a Hospitation anywhere in Germany.
  6. You will receive a certificate of completion of the Hospitation, which you may add as an experience certificate in you Resume.

My personal experience:

            I did a Hospitation in a hospital with 300 beds in the German State of Baden-Wuerttemberg. This hospital had a wide range of Medical Departments, but they had a relatively good reputation in the field of Orthopedics. I chose Trauma Surgey (Unfallchirurgie) as my field, as I am interested in this field and wanted to specialize in the same field.

            On the day of Interview with the Chief of the Department, I really was very nervous because since last 1 year I was learning just the German Language and I have forgotten most of the Medicine related things, which I had learned during my medicine schooling. Further, the Chief of the Departments in India (My home country) are mostly very judgmental and short tempered, especially in the field of the Surgery. Regardless, I was determined to experience the German Medical System and learn some German Language. But all my nervousness was completely unnecessary. Most consultants and the Chief of the Departments in Germany are very friendly and down-to-earth in nature, especially with us foreign doctors. The chief of the department in my hospital was in fact very supportive even during my interview. This made me even more confident during my hospitation period. 

            In the first few days, I mostly concentrated on grasping the system how the junior docs were working, learned writing the discharge summery and mostly followed and junior docs. They were also very friendly and always explained me the things again, in case I didn't understand at the first time (Because my German was weak that time). In the next upcoming days, I started slowly showing more enthusiasm in talking to patients and participating in routine things like taking blood samples, changing bandages, taking special histories related to Osteoporosis, actively participate during the ward visit of consultants, etc,. I Spent a lot of time in the emergency department where things are more happening in nature. 

            By the end of my Hospitation of 2 months duration, I had already assisted the consultants in about 20 different operational procedures. Yes, I was even allowed to assist during the operation, which I found impressive. Working with German surgeons in the OT was  completely adventurous. Although, I had rather done a Hospitation in the Internal Medicine department as well and learned a lot more medical German and much more of history taking, medical checkups and command giving during the medical checkups. This could have prepared me very well for the Medical German Language Exam, as most topics in this exam are related to General Medicine. 

            And the best part was being a part of German tradition, that is, bringing self baked brownies for all my colleagues on my last day in the hospital :D


My recommendations:


  1. Start applying for the Hospitation once you get a B2 certificate, since you will then be able to speak more German and be able to interact more freely with patients and colleagues.
  2. Apply in at least 15-20 Hospitals for it. This will increase your chances of getting accepted in at least one hospital.
  3. Choose Internal Medicine if you want to experience German Medical System and learn Medical German in more details. 
  4. Choose a middle sized hospital with around 300-500 beds as compared to a hospital with more beds, if you have such a choice. Because smaller size hospitals has less rush of patients and that's why you will get more personal time for learning.
  5. "In Germany, be punctual every single day".
  6. Be friendly in nature, and not appearing stupid at the same time.



So my friends, this is it for today. In case you have any further query, feel free to write down in the comments section below. I will be glad to answer it. Good luck!

Comments

  1. hallo... your experience is exactly like me. i have been about 10 month learn Deutsch, and totally forgot all about Medizin. Now i learn Deutsch in B2 until end of this year in Germany. but my visa (sprachkurs visa) will end in March. So i must going back to may country and change the visa (which is certainly can't be with the same visa) to entering Germany. So i hope i can get the long term visa (about 1 year). Which visa is required for hospitation other than Schengen Visa?
    And may i know where you did your hospitation? And for how long we can take the hospitation?
    Thankyou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. H Lily! It is sad to see that you have also got this feeling that you have forgotten a lot of medicine stuff while learning German. But you don't have to worry. Just keep revising a topic a day from medicine and it will all come back. Or you can read these topics from German medical books or from YouTube videos. In that way you can prepare Medizinfachsprache at the same time.

      Delete
    2. And to your query: If you go back to your country and come again just for the purpose of Hospitation, then you will most probably get a Schengen Visa (Maximum 3 months duration). Because Hospitation can't be done longer than 3 months in one hospital. So, after your Hospitation, you will have to go back to your country because Schengen Visa can't be converted into a long term visa (In most cases. Unless you get a proposal letter for your specialization. In that case Ausländerbehörde may convert it into long term Visa, because Arzt is a health worker. I´m not 100% sure though).

      I would suggest you to go to the Ausländerbehörde and get the advice from them on your issue. Ask them: What if you are enrolled in a course of Medizinische Fachsprache right after the completion of B2? Or in case if you fail to pass B2 test in your first attempt? Or if you get a Hospitation for 3 months? Will you get your visa extended in any of these cases? They are very helpful and will give you proper advice. If nothing works, then you can reply me back and we can think of some other idea. Maybe applying for the Approbation right after your B2 will work :)

      Delete
    3. H Lily! It is sad to see that you have also got this feeling that you have forgotten a lot of medicine stuff while learning German. But you don't have to worry. Just keep revising a topic a day from medicine and it will all come back. Or you can read these topics from German medical books or from YouTube videos. In that way you can prepare Medizinfachsprache at the same time.

      Delete
  2. Hi Chirag. I need info regarding the documents required for applying for hospitation. I am learning the language at A1 presently. Hoping to apply soon as I reach B2. Also my pg degree/ diploma can count as work experience is it. Am DMRD n DNB resident from India. Moved to Germany two months ago. Thanks for the help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How does a Contract for Hospitation looks like ?
      The embassy asked me for a contract, but the hospital send me just an invitation letter.

      Delete
  3. Hey Chirag, thanks for the very useful blog. Is the work experience of india useful when applying for jobs or hospitation in germany?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey chirag thanks a lot for info , I would like a suggestion from you , actually I came to Germany on 16b visa to do a preparatory course for fachsprachprüfüng ,which I completed and got myself registered at lagus mv and have also booked fsp but unfortunately I couldn't extend my visa till my exam or convert it to 17a, now I have to go back to India and apply for Visa on exam basis or 17a , now I also want to apply hospitation so that I can make my visa documents strong and also gets the benefits u mentioned now my question is can I apply for hospitation being in India , please kindly reply to my request

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Sir,

    I have a B2 level certificate and now i want to apply for a Hospitation. I would like to know if there is any list or something regarding the best hospitals to study in Germany ?
    Also I would like to know, when we send a mail to these Hospitals , should we write them in English or in Deutsch?

    Thanking you,
    Shriram

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful Post. This is a very helpful post. These are the useful tips for. I would like to share with my friends. To know more about me visit here thyroid functional medicine doctor

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

To apply for a post for further specialization or Hospitation in Medicine as a Foreign Doctor

How to specialize in Medicine in Germany for Foreign Doctors